Sunday 28 August 2011

Jennifer's Spin to the Yukon

Jasper National Park
In the summer of 2010 I decided to try something I had never done before – or never even considered doing until weeks prior to my departure. I wanted to travel to the Yukon, so I decided the best way to get there would be to bike. I would leave straight from my front door in Calgary, and pedal the whole way with all of my camping supplies, and warmest clothes, strapped on to the bike. The idea was incredible: I would travel through National Parks, see some of Canada’s best known mega fauna, sleep outside, exercise daily, and reach one of the corners of this amazing country that I hadn’t yet visited.
Loaded touring bike
So the idea was all set. I had visualised it and made up my mind; I had to make this happen. Now, the biggest flaw in my plan was this: not only had I never cycled long distance, I’d never even cycled outside of the spin class I attend as cross-training for marathons. Every bike store in Calgary (ok, we don’t have that many) scoffed at this young chick who thought she could battle the remote northern wilderness with a bike, despite being completely clueless as to how to adjust a rear derailleur (still am).
I will use this blog to assist other cycling neophytes and pass on what I learned and experienced. So here’s a checklist of what the amateur needs to prepare for a trip like this:
1.      Take a bike mechanic’s course and master changing tires, care and troubleshooting for your bike, and common repairs. I did mine at University of Calgary
 Budget alternative: Check out youtube for bike repair videos.
2.      Probably do a bit of training. Getting used to spending your entire day in the saddle can be a little rough at first. I didn’t quite go nuts on the training, if your first few days are shorter distances you can train-as-you-go.
3.      Research online bike tour communities such as crazyguyonabike.com (or this blog) to get packing lists for your needs.
Now that I’ve packed all my new bike tools, have become a flat repair queen, and have had my last good sleep in my comfy bed, I’m ready to go!


My Route:

View Jen Spins to the Yukon in a larger map


·   

No comments:

Post a Comment