Thursday 8 September 2011

How to pack everything you need onto a bike

I am asked fairly often what I brought with me for my trip. Since I was on my own, it was certainly important to bring only the necessities, so I didn't bring cooking gear or anything extra. It was also relatively cold at night, so a big, warm sleeping bag, and lots of warm clothes were essential. Following is my gear list for the trip:

Camping supplies:
Bike bits:
Personal items:
2-person Tent
2x spare tubes
2x sets biking clothes
Sleeping bag (-10C)
1 spare tire
2x fleece sweaters
Sleeping pad – small
Bike pump
Rain coat
4 panniers – 2X MEC World Tour, 2x MEC 15L
Patch kit
Tuque + mitts
Wrench
Camera
3x water bottles + purification tablets
Screwdriver set
Sunscreen
Helmet
‘normal clothes’
Lights (didn’t need them)
Bio soap
Chain Lube
Wire lock – to loop through all panniers, wheels, and tie around a tree.
Book

My two rear panniers carried the heaviest items, while the two small front panniers held the sleeping bag and my clothes. I saw some other cyclists with other methods, including a trailer, and would love to hear what anyone thinks about how that style of touring compares to having the panniers on the bike.